- Nanofilm interactions with friction, rock mechanics, and hydrogeology/geochemistry
- Rock mechanics laboratory experiments, high-speed friction and direct shear experiments, physical properties.
- Theoretical developments in earthquake physics relating changes in fault rheology during the earthquake cycle and the onset of unstable slip (origins of slow and fast earthquakes etc.).
- Previous Research: Long-term ocean observatory developments. Marine hydrological/geochemical instrumentation development to study the interactions between hydrology/gas hydrates/active tectonic and aqueous geochemical variations.
- B.S., University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Ph.D., University of Durham, England